Our Adult Programs offer the same fun, friendly, and accessible high-quality bike education as our Youth Programs and are open to people 18+ years old.
Our Adult and Community programs are rooted in the belief that people of all ages can benefit from bicycling. The programs are designed to engage adults in technical bike repair instruction and adults, families and community members in riding opportunities. These programs provide bicycles and bicycle education to help promote bicycling.
Bike Repair Classes
Bike Works offers our adult community a variety of classes to hone your bicycle mechanic skills.
- Bike Repair 101 – The most popular adult class! This beginning bicycle repair class is offered throughout the year and covers everything you need to know to safely upkeep your bicycle.
- Bring-Your-Own-Bike – After taking this class, participants will be ready to tackle most roadside repairs, ranging from fixing flat tires to piecing together a broken chain. This class will also go over route planning, riding safety, multi-modal transportation, and more. Participants will work on their own bikes!
- Bike Repair 201 – This peer led class is intended to help build the skills of our adult volunteers and graduates of Bike Repair 101. Two of the six repair sessions will be taught by the instructor and will cover advanced repair lessons such as wheel truing and rear hub overhaul. Learning these advanced skills plus teaching the basics will earn the graduates of this class a Park Tool School Certificate, as well as the opportunity to teach future classes at Bike Works!
- Wheel Building – Once a year, you can lean how to build your own wheel set. Hand built wheels are an art form as well as a science. Join us as we walk you through it.
Free Bike Giveaways
The Bikes-for-All! program works with adults in our community and is designed to address the perceived obstacles to using a bike as transportation, and to cover the basics of becoming a confident cyclist on shared roadways. This program operates monthly and provides low-income adults from Seattle who do not have access to a bicycle, with a commuter bike complete with a lock, a helmet and lights along with quality bicycle safety instruction.
This is a self-directed space for adults to use our tools and repair stands and get advice on repairs from trained staff. Open Shop is a friendly, safe, and non-judgmental environment to empower yourself to learn mechanics, help others, and build community! Fix that flat tire from last spring, or change out your handlebars to a comfort bar for commuting. There is no better way to demystify your bike than taking a wrench to it yourself! In addition, we host monthly repair nights and open shop opportunities for WTFNB folks to work together on projects in a setting without the systemic bias that can be found in traditional bike shop settings.
$5 per hour Suggested Donation
Saturdays at the Warehouse: 12pm-5pm*
*Check Calendar for Cancellations
Our volunteer community makes much of the work we do possible, helping out in every part of our organization. Bike Works offers our adults the opportunity to help fix bikes and do other meaningful things to assist Bike Works daily work and mission.
- Volunteer Repair Parties (VRP) – weekly bike repair parties for adults (age 18 and up) to drop-in. You do not need to be a skilled bike mechanic to help out.
- Events – there are multiple events throughout the year that need extra hands to serve the community. From community rides to bicycle valet, we need your help.
- Office Volunteers – help keep our offices rolling smoothly by helping organize or volunteering for special projects. These are offered on an as need basis.
- Rainier Valley Greenways – get involved with your local chapter of the Seattle Neighborhood Greenways.
Get Your Company involved
Employer Partnerships are designed to meet the needs of the partner organization and can include: bike repair and maintenance demonstrations, riding classes, safety and route selection seminars or a combination of these types of programming.