Volunteer & Job Opportunities
Our volunteer community makes much of the work we do possible, helping out in every part of our organization. From individual efforts to large group projects, there is a volunteer opportunity for everybody.
Background checks will be completed before volunteer opportunities can begin. For more information, contact our Program Team firstname.lastname@example.org
Ways to Volunteer:
- Volunteer Repair Parties (VRP) are drop-in, weekly bike repair parties for adults (age 18 and up). You do not need to be a skilled bike mechanic to help out.
- Host a Bike Drive
- Office volunteers
- Rainier Valley Greenways volunteers
6:30pm to 9:30pm
This night session is open to adults of all skill, experience and confidence levels. We also offer orientations to new volunteers.
*See below for special event dates when VRP is canceled.*
10am to 1pm
This morning session is also open to adults of all skill, experience and confidence levels. In addition, we offer orientations to new volunteers.
Bike Works has a robust staff team with Part-time and Full-time opportunities available. If interested send your resume to Jobs@bikeworks.org See below for current and ongoing Job Opportunities.
Join our team:
PROGRAM COORDINATOR Full-Time
Bike Works, based in Seattle, has been working since 1996 to promote the bicycle as a vehicle for change to empower youth and build resilient communities. Last year over 2,500 youth and adults participated in our programs. Our vision is: Mobilized people, thriving communities, healthy planet.
The Bike Works Program Coordinator works with the Programs Team to run our youth and adult programs. This role includes teaching bike repair classes, running bike rides, and taking the lead on mechanic work needed to finish and check all bikes for redistribution to the community. Each day will be a blend of these tasks within a team of six, requiring both collaboration and independence. This is an excellent opportunity for a bike mechanic with youth and adult mentoring/teaching experience.
Bike Works is an Equal Opportunity and queer-friendly employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works independently, or with the programs team, to run programs; including bike repair classes, bike riding clubs, bike giveaways, summer camps, BikeMobile services, and all community partnerships.
- Leads bike mechanic work for programs; fixes and safety checks bikes.
- Coordinates bike storage and bike needs for various programs.
- Updates registrations, database, class documents and calendars as needed.
- Maintains classroom environments; cleans and restocks spaces weekly.
Compensation: $32,500-$35,000 DOE
Plus full benefits including: employer sponsored health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 12 days of vacation to start (one day each additional year of work); paid organization-wide recess from 12/25 to 1/1 every year; reimbursement for mileage when using bike for work; 10 days sick leave, short and long term disability; employer matching contributions to retirement account; all products in our bike shop and catalog at cost (including new bikes and parts); $250 towards yearly training (outside of all training necessary for the job); casual dress code for work.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Excellent bike mechanic skills; prior experience as a bicycle mechanic preferred.
- Experienced bike rider; able to ride a bike long distances, bike touring experience preferred.
- Ability to teach in an engaging and yet, challenging manner; prior experience teaching is preferred.
- Understanding of social justice and awareness of privilege.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks.
- Capacity to work on a computer and complete paperwork and database work.
- Driver’s license; ability to pass a driving record check & drive large vehicles.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends is required for this position.
Who we are:
- Collaborative team players
- Passionate educators
- Bike mechanics, bike riders
- Social justice activists
- Energetic and hard workers who manage time and risk
- Self-starters with growth mindsets
- Personable and humorous
How to Apply:
Email your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Applications accepted until Sunday April 30th at 5pm.
Start date is between May 15th & June 1st.