Why it’s great to work at Bike Works:
- The Columbia City neighborhood is vibrant with great restaurants, coffee, a seasonal Farmer’s Market, live music, and an active community
- Gender neutral bathrooms
- Casual office environment
- Generous benefits
- A organization-wide winter break in December
- Fun, collaborative coworkers, committed to social justice
- Yearly professional development allowance
- Discounts to keep your biking habit rolling (or to help inspire you to get into bicycling)
- Bike Parking and lots of it!
Bike Works, based in SE Seattle since 1996, promotes the bicycle as a vehicle for change to empower youth and build resilient communities. Our programs and services invest in young people and encourage bicycling. Our bike shop serves a large customer base with used bike sales, affordable repairs, and new and used parts and accessories. We take in over 7,000 bicycle donations annually and redistribute these bikes through our programs and bike shop. We are committed to continued learning and improvement, with a focus on social justice and racial equity.
Conditions of Employment
Bike Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to assembling a diverse and talented staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, Bike Works does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
2021 BENEFITS PACKAGE
All full-time employees are eligible for our generous benefits package:
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 12 days of vacation to start (adding one day for each additional year of work)
- 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, plus a paid holiday recess from 12/24 through 1/1
- 10 days sick leave per year
- Long & Short-Term Disability
- Training & Professional Development for job roles
- Unlimited Orca Card
- EAP Employee Assistance Program
- $250 reimbursement for any kind of training or continuing education
- $250 match for employee donations to other nonprofits
- $250 fitness/gym membership reimbursement
- Discounts on new & used bikes and parts in our Shop
- Retirement match up to $2,000
- Life Insurance
- Reimbursement for mileage when using your bike for work
- Casual dress code
- Sabbatical policy for 1 month after 5 years
The Bike Works Administrative Coordinator supports the organization by keeping our wheels turning and our departments connected through essential data processing and office coordination. This position will start at 20 hours/week and is eligible for paid vacation and sick leave, as well as overtime pay when applicable. Email your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Open until filled.
The Bike Works Program Coordinator works with the Programs Team to run our youth programs. This role includes teaching bike repair classes, running bike rides and safety rodeos, and maintaining outreach and redistribution of bicycles to the community. Each day will be a blend of these tasks within a team of four, requiring both collaboration and independence. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with bike mechanic skills who has youth mentoring/teaching experience and is eager to learn more. This position reports directly to the Program Director and is part of the Bike Works Programs Team.
Every year, more than 2,000 youth and adults participate in our programs.
We are no longer hiring for this position. However, you are welcome to submit a resume for future consideration to email@example.com.
Bike Shop Mechanic
This position will provide professional-quality mechanical repair services and attentive, quality customer service in a high-energy, fast-paced bike shop. Other duties will include sales, receiving and pricing orders, and maintaining accessible, organized retail displays. This position reports directly to the Shop Director and is part of the Bike Works Bike Shop Team. Email your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. This position is open until filled.
We are no longer hiring for this position. However, you are welcome to submit a resume for future consideration to kellenbikeworks.org.